Week 10 – Wrapping up #6

During the last week of the internship, a lot of things happened. There is the final intern presentation that all 10 of the interns in the cyber defense department created to present to department managers; there is also the innovation challenge presentation, which is a presentation on a voluntary challenge that aims to solve current health-related stigmas with innovative means. Both presentations provided me with a lot of opportunities to practice my public speaking skills, which I for sure knew weren’t my greatest strengths.

They reminded me of an advice my manager Marisa gave me earlier in the internship: communication is important (especially grammatically correct ones). Our presentation for sure wouldn’t have gone that smoothly without practicing and refining the diction well beforehand. Only by practicing to the point where it comes to us as second nature were we able to deliver our presentation under the stressful scenario where a room full of senior managers are all fixing their gaze on us.

All in all, the internship was an invaluable experience that changed my career goals. As a computer science major, becoming a software engineer was the golden path that was shown to me by academics as well as my peers. The internship taught me the possibilities outside of that which this itself made the experience worth it. I sincerely look forward to another cybersecurity internship for the next summer.

One thought on “Week 10 – Wrapping up #6

Hi Siang-Siang! My name is Caroline and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I was able to read some of your blog posts, and it sounds like you have had a transformational summer! You have been able to get your hands on some real cybersecurity work in the healthcare field, and have had experiences that are educational and unforgettable. You’ve even done some deep reflection on your career goals! I’d be curious to know what you will do with these lessons and memories when you exit your internship. I highly recommend using the services and resources offered at the Opportunity Hub to help you maximize this experience. Our coaches can help you articulate your experiences in resumes, cover letters, and future interviews. They can also help you figure out what moves you want to make next and how to stay in touch with your network. You surely don’t want to forget all of the great things you’ve been learning in Chicago, or the people that you’ve connected with. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we hope to see you at the Hub this fall!