Final Thoughts | #6

I feel incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to intern at Saugatuck Yacht Club and to be invited back as a full-time Club Manager after I graduate. It was an opportunity I could not turn down. While I would eventually like to enter a more corporate field of Event Management, this internship was a great reminder of how fun work can be when you love your environment, your co-workers, and your job. Now that I understand the position and the workings of the club, I believe next year will be an even more rewarding experience because I won’t require weeks of training. I will know exactly what needs to get done and how to do it.

The biggest piece of advice I have for anyone at a new job is to remember the power of networking. I know this lesson has been taught many times but I met a countless number of people who genuinely took an interest in my career goals and were willing to help me get there. I have never experienced such a plethora of people who were anxious to help me succeed. Simply telling them my field of study and desired career was enough to consistently spark a conversation in which they would offer their expertise and their connections. Sometimes it led nowhere, but other times it opened up a pathway to a potential future job. It was great to be welcomed into a community where everyone helps one another to achieve their goals and I look forward to using my connections to achieve mine.