#6 | Reflections

At the end of the summer, I can wholeheartedly say I enjoyed my internship. I loved the work I got to do, the people I met, and the vast amounts of knowledge I gained. I believe that at the end of the two-month period I left with a more secure idea of where I see myself in the next five years. My time-management skills, attention to detail, and interpersonal communication skills have improved as well as my ability to multitask. Although I struggled with the learning curve at the beginning, I later found that the time it took me to complete tasks during the first couple of weeks were halved during the second month on the job.

When I came to U of M, I planned on studying political science and international studies to eventually become a lawyer. I didn’t think there would be a lot of overlap between what I learned in the classroom and the work I did at my internship. However, I soon learned that being able to communicate effectively both written and verbally is an unparalleled skill. I was also able to use presentation skills I gained in the classroom in my final presentation. Finally, I was able to take skills I learned from the Opportunity Hub to boost my interpersonal communication; whether that be drafting professional emails, sending thank-you notes, or just simply presenting myself professionally, I felt fully prepared to put my best foot forward.