Advice for Prospective Farm Interns – Post 5

Before starting the internship, I knew farming was a profession for patient people. The term “watching grass grow” dully rang in the back of my head while upon applying to a farm. After all, I would effectively be watching plants grow. With outright honesty, I thought it might be boring and perhaps unrewarding at times. Spoiler: I was wrong (mostly). My advice to those considering a farming internship: Do it! 

First off, dull moments are far and few in between and there is never nothing to do. I had no idea how much work is involved in organic farming. Every day there is a packed schedule and there’s a high chance it won’t all get done. Its a lot of work, but not measured just by volume, but also in variety. For example, did you know that most organic farms have a literal flamethrower on-site to control weeds? In the same day you could use a flamethrower and also learn the proper technique in squashing tomatoes with your bare feet to jar seeds loose. The work can be fun and new, but prospective organic farm interns should know that you will be active in things like hand-weeding on a regular basis. While some tasks aren’t of particular excitement in doing, there is always the opportunity to enjoy while doing. Repetitive tasks allow perfect moments to share ideas and conversation with those beside you or simply work in contemplation.

Next, the farm is rewarding in different periods that indeed require patience. Imagine its a week or so after sowing seeds and you keep checking the field only to look on at plain soil. But today you begin your work morning with a surprise! You approach a dew-shined and symmetrical row of delicate little seedlings! Before you know it the tomatoes are red, the squash are massive, and the sunflowers are taller than you. Its very fulfilling to watch it all play out one day at a time and have pleasant surprises waiting at every week’s end.

Proof of mentioned flamethrower. Its loud, hot, and smokey, but you can’t help but feel cool while doing it.

Short beans and amaranth… (May)

Tall beans and amaranth! (June)