Appreciative #8

Hi there,

The past week was the last week of my internship in Albania. I can confidently say that this has been one of the best experiences in my life. I learned a lot, met many new people, and I had the opportunity to see family members whom I had not seen in over a decade.

My internship was different than what I expected in the sense that it was not exactly pertaining to anything in the medical field; however, it was extremely helpful for me. It was a source for me to understand and practice my belief that before everything, a doctor must be human. A doctor has to consider everything about patients, not only the symptoms, but where they come from, and how to interact with them. This leads me to the appreciation I felt for having the opportunity to meet so many different people, from different backgrounds and from similar backgrounds to mine. I heard their experiences, I connected to their pain, and transmitted as much joy as I could to those who did not feel any. That is what I learned to be important: no matter what I am feeling, it is always essential to be positive with others. Kindness goes a long way no matter the official position someone holds.

Lastly, I am thankful that through going to Albania for this internship, I could see family members and reconnect, for at least a few minutes. This made the experience even more full of life for me. I am grateful for everything.

Thank you for keeping up with me,

Ermelinda