Better Late than Never: Favorite Experience

Hello All!

It’s Destini again. Despite the many challenges that I faced over the summer with my job, I absolutely loved it and would do it all over again. There were many times that I wanted to throw in the towel because things weren’t going the way that I wanted them to, but there were more good times than bad. One of my favorite things about my job was that it gave me the opportunity to do things that I probably would never had done.

I would have to say that one of my favorite moments was taking some of the children of Parkside to horse camp for a week. At this camp, the children learned how to interact with horses, which consisted of learning how to interact with horses (horseman’s handshake was my favorite) along with learning the different grooming and riding tools. While learning to interact with the horses, they also learned how to interact with each other by focusing 6 different character traits. Some examples of the traits that they focused on are confidence, motivation, perseverance, and responsible risk-taking. It was amazing to watch the kids ride and play with the horses, especially those that refused to touch the horses in the beginning. It was awesome to hear the kids speak about how the horses helped them overcome fear or anxiety. Horse camp really helped children reach a new level of confidence in their lives, and I am so glad that I had a chance to witness it and be a part of that experience.