Better Late than Never: My Identity

Hello All!

It’s Destini again, and this blog is one that I am really excited to write. During my time in Detroit, I had the opportunity to attend some amazing events that have had an impact on my life. One such event was a Juneteenth event that gave us a chance to hear about and discuss issues plaguing areas like Detroit. It provided a platform for people of all backgrounds and identities to come together and talk about uncomfortable topics that would otherwise be ignored. At this event, there were powerful spoken word performances that talked about the school to prison pipeline, racism, discrimination against LGBTQ  people of color, and unaffordability of water.

After hearing these performances and listening to testimonies of people that are living with some of those issues, I began to reflect on my identities to analyze the privileges and disadvantages of the different identities that make me who I am. I had always known that I would face many difficulties that are compounded by discrimination as an African American woman. However, I do have different different identities that give me privileges. I am a member of the upper middle class, so I don’t have to worry about not being able to afford water. I am a straight cisgender woman, so I don’t have to worry about being discriminated against because of my gender and sexuality. The event really put things into perspective and made me really be thankful for the privileges that I have because some people have an even greater disadvantage for being who they are.