Better Late than Never: The End

Hello All!

It’s Destini again. The end of my internship was stressful, rewarding, and anxiety filled. Despite this, I am happy to say that I made it and I am a better person because of it. My project was to plan and evaluate the annual Parkside health and safety fair, and for a while I was really worried that it wouldn’t be a success. The event was great, but not without a fair share of disappointments. On the day of the event, there were many cancellations, parking issues, vendor issues, material issues, etc. I literally thought that there was no way that the day was going to improve, but thankfully it did and the event was more successful than I thought it would be. It was extremely rewarding to see the success of a project that I worked so hard on. I was extremely proud of myself for coordinating this project and I was hopeful to see the impact that it would have on the community.

During this internship, I was able to see the different factors that contributed to the lack of access to different health and safety resources in the community that I served. I saw that there was a shortage of awareness and that sometimes residents had a lack of trust in the medical community, which fueled the fire within me to serve. This program strengthened my desire to become an emergency room physician in an underserved area so that I could help build more trust in the health care system, and so that I can improve the health of those in the community that I serve. I am truly grateful that I had the opportunity to do great work in an amazing city like Detroit, and I am grateful that this scholarship helped make the process a little easier! I am so grateful!

2 thoughts on “Better Late than Never: The End

Hello Destini,

I’m Jenny, a student engagement intern at the LSA Opportunity Hub and I’ve been anticipating your blogs! (No worries, I know it’s tempting to procrastinate!)

First of all, I just want to say how proud of yourself you should be for your accomplishments! You shared many ups and downs, but emerged from the experience as a more driven and passionate version of yourself. I think this is essentially the greatest outcome of an internship- to be able to reaffirm your interests and life vision through hands-on learning. It’s great that you not only wish to become an emergency physician, but consider it a mission to breed a trusting relationship between the community and local healthcare system.

I know it can be bewildering to start from scratch in a new environment, with minimal guidance from your supervisor even if there is a greater degree of freedom in independent work. I’m sorry that you were off to a rough start with your supervisor, but I hoped over the months the communication went smoother! Your colleagues and fellow interns are always a great resource to turn to, as they may share similar experiences and know of ways which worked for them.

I’m sure you can be much more confident with planning large-scale events moving forward, and I cannot agree more with what you said about leadership! Leaders that I really appreciate are not merely good at what they do, but truly facilitate collaboration between team members, motivate and delegate fairly. Your blog post about navigating your identify is also my favorite, and I’m happy that you enjoyed sharing it! It is so easy to compare ourselves with people “better off” than ourselves, and forgot how much we already have. I guess acknowledging our own privileges is a good first step to become more aware of issues surrounding us, and learn to be empathetic. Thanks for sharing your internal growth Destini!

Before classes begin, it might be helpful to document all that you did, challenges and areas of improvement you may wish to continue working on. If you need help transferring your skills onto your resumes or portfolios, don’t hesitate to drop by the LSA Opportunity Hub and speak with our coaches! I believe you will be a great asset to the medical field with your desire to help the at-risk and underprivileged populations. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you have a great rest of the summer!

Best,
    Jenny

Hi Destini,
    Thanks for sharing about the internship experience this summer! I want to acknowledge that with this post you’ve met the six blog requirement for the scholarship. I hope that you’ll have a chance to stop by the Hub this fall. We can chat about how you represent your experience on your resume, LinkedIn, or even in future interviews! Please let us know how we can be of help.

Best of luck in your return to campus,
    Beth