Experiencing a New Home #5

I’m from Des Moines, Iowa, a city like Ann Arbor and Detroit. There are parts that shine like rich money has flooded the streets and will continue to flow through the white concrete and shiny grass for all time. Then there are parts so run down it seems as though they haven’t seen a dime in decades and won’t be seeing one anytime soon. Those sides of town are also primarily populated by minorities and seen as highly dangerous. My internship primarily took place in Southwest Detroit. When I told people that my internship was in Southwest Detroit, they would be like “Oh, hmmm I don’t know about that. Is that a safe place?”

What was blatant in this statement (and any other statement I heard along these lines) was the sheer fear or distaste for this city and the area I worked specifically. And yes, I will acknowledge that the area I worked looked run down. But that’s not because the people are ram-shaking the neighborhood and threatening any person who walks through there. It’s a lack of money from property taxes and resident that prevents those areas from prospering. It’s quite safe for you to walk through there (although some might disagree based on the appearance of the place). During the summer camp, we took the kids on walks around the neighborhood and we’re always greeted by lovely neighbors on their porches or other neighborhood kids.  

One thought on “Experiencing a New Home #5

Hi Jazzaray! My name is Caroline and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I was able to read some of your blog posts, and it sounds like you have had a busy summer! You have been able to get your hands on some holistic community work, and have had experiences that are educational and unforgettable. You’ve even done some deep reflection on what it means to work in Detroit and how money can affect communities! I’d be curious to know what you will do with these lessons and memories when you exit your internship. I highly recommend using the services and resources offered at the Opportunity Hub to help you maximize this experience. Our coaches can help you articulate your experiences in resumes, cover letters, and future interviews. They can also help you figure out what moves you want to make next and how to stay in touch with your network. You surely don’t want to forget all of the great things you’ve been learning in Detroit or the people that you’ve connected with. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we hope to see you at the Hub this fall!