Experiencing New Farm Foods – Post 4

I’ve loved cooking for several years and I’ve never been a picky eater, but I was seriously missing out on some new ingredients and additions to recipes. Working on an organic farm exposed what I’ve been missing. I’ve gotten to try so many new things! Don’t laugh, but I tried the following just in summer of 2018:
  • Okra
  • Amaranth
  • Calendula
  • Chard
  • Dandelion
  • Lambsquarters
  • Magenta spreen
  • Broccoleti
  • Chicory
  • Nasturtium
  • Sorrel

Along with everything listed above, I’ve had the opportunity to try several varieties of plants like tomatoes, snap peas, raspberries*, strawberries, kale, lettuce and so much more. With this, I was able to compare differences in look, taste, and texture.

*Raspberries – specifically red raspberries of the Josephine variety – have become my new favorite fruit.

I didn’t have to go abroad to shock my palate. I was right down the road in Dexter, Michigan, but this internship exposed me to so many new and delicious plants which I will never forget. For every new food I was privileged enough to try, I know I played a big role in growing it. Somehow being involved in the process makes them taste just a little bit better.

The two on the left are the same variety of hearty and earthy corn, Soltera Morada, exhibiting slight differences in genetics. They will turn your cooking water purple!
On the right is a sweet variety named Top Hat.

A handful of an amazingly sweet and candy-like variety of red raspberry. The Josephine!