Impactful Projects | #6

I was able to have many impactful experiences this summer from my internship. I worked on some really cool projects, learned interesting and valuable skills, and gained valuable information from the people around me and the projects they were working on. But one project in particular that I worked on I believe has influenced me the most.

After finishing my first project, I had the opportunity to choose what I wanted to do for my second project. My company had a new augmented reality device laying around that they had not had the chance to use yet. I suggested that I could try integrating the company’s software with the device and my supervisor loved the idea. However, I actually had no clue how to even get started with such a project. There was a huge learning curve, and I spent a lot of time just researching background knowledge for the project, and then how to implement that background knowledge. But everything was so worth it. I was able to learn TCP networking, which allows one to send information from one computer to another. I was able to implement a client server connection, essentially creating a basic messaging application. I was able to learn more about interacting with APIs and SDKs, a huge part of all software development. And eventually I was able to learn some basic Android app development skills, while trying to see if the company’s software was also compatible with mobile phones. Also, it was just really cool to be able to work with different AR technology that I wouldn’t have had the chance to work with otherwise.

Besides learning a lot of practical skills, I believe it gave me some insight on what I enjoy about software development/computer science, and perhaps a clearer idea of what direction I would like to head within the field in the future. Getting two separate pieces of hardware and software to interact with each other was a rewarding task that I hope I will have more experiences with in the future.

One thought on “Impactful Projects | #6

Hello John – Thanks for these final two updates on your experiences this summer. I can definitely see your housing advice being useful to other students getting ready for an internship, and it’s great that you feel more confident in how to approach living in a new place for the future.

Even more exciting was reading about your accomplishments this summer, especially the initiative you took to undertake a project that offered so much learning (and challenge!). It’s wonderful that you are leaving your internship with new practical knowledge as well as the experience of having proposed, researched, and implemented this kind of project.

As of this post you’ve met your blogging requirements for the summer. When you’re back on campus, please know you are welcome to stop by the Hub to discuss how you can represent your accomplishments on your resume, LinkedIn, or in the networking conversations you mentioned here. Glad you had such an enriching experience!