Wild Life, Wild Plans: How My Plans for the Future Changed

Before my internship, I had my heart set on going to the Michigan State University veterinary school to become a large animal veterinarian. I wanted to go to Michigan State since it is the best veterinary school in the state of Michigan, and for as long as I can remember I wanted to work with farm animals. My plans for the future changed, however, by the end of my time at Possumwood.

Over the course of my internship, I fell in love with the idea of working with wildlife and working as a wildlife rehabilitator. In fact, I liked it so much that at one point I considered quitting college to move to North Carolina so that I could work at Possumwood Acres forever (who would quit THE University of Michigan, though?). One part that I enjoyed about being a wildlife rehabilitator was that I got to work with animals that were out of the norm. Instead of working with animals that I could see every day, like cats and dogs, I got to work with animals such as vultures, hawks, possums, loons, owls, and even an alligator once. I also liked knowing that by helping the injured animals that came in, I was helping our ecosystem and that I was helping to save the animals that most people would overlook. Doing the medical portion of being a wildlife rehabilitator was appealing, too. I enjoyed seeing the different types of injuries that came and learning how to treat them and knowing that every day would be something new, whether it be a new animal species or a new type of injury. Getting to handle the animals and learn about them was a major plus, too. I mean, who wouldn’t want to hold an adorable baby possum or feed a hawk with a glove?

Even though I couldn’t stay in Hubert, North Carolina and work at Possumwood Acres Wildlife Sanctuary forever, I still plan on going back to visit when I move to the Old North State to attend veterinary school at North Carolina State University to become a wildlife veterinarian, or possibly a large animal veterinarian still. I also plan on getting my wildlife rehabilitation permit in order to rehabilitate small mammals in the future, too.