Wrapping up

This is the last week of my summer internship at OAMI, and it’s time to transition to the school year. I’ll still be working in OAMI, both to continue the job I’ve done all summer and to start planning the 2019 Dance for Mother Earth Powwow for the Native American Student Association.

The major recruiting, planning, and organizing for the STEM cohort is done, but now it’s time to actually have students come and be a part of it. I need to plan workshops and social events, where they’ll be held and when, who will facilitate them, etc. I also need to finish putting together my research and conference guides and find tutors for classes SuccessConnects will offer tutoring for.

It’ll be an intense school year, but this has been a rewarding experience and I’m so excited to keep it going this fall.

Mattie

Class of 2020, Physics and Interdisciplinary Astronomy Co-Chair of the Native American Student Association Society of Physics Students Student Astronomical Society

2 thoughts on “Wrapping up

Hello again Mattie,

Congratulations on wrapping up your internship! It seems that you had pretty writing-intensive tasks, but I’m glad you enjoyed the outcomes even though they were not quite what you expected.

The feeling of helping others can be very rewarding, and it’s awesome that you are in a great place to be able to help fellow students that were once in the same shoes as yourself! Talking to large groups of people one-on-one can require much energy, but it’s also a great opportunity to form stronger bonds. It’s nice of you to encourage them to stay in touch, and I believe it can be beneficial for you as well to hear from people of similar interests as you!

I’m happy to hear that you anticipate continuing to work with OAMI the coming fall. It will be a busy school year, but I’m sure your hard work will pay off! As you will be with OAMI for a longer period, it can be helpful to think about long-term initiatives that you believe will benefit the program, and identity gap in resources so that they can better assist students in the future. It will a great project to be a part of, and you may find the process insightful!

Thanks for sharing Mattie, and I’d love to keep hearing about your aspirations! Best of luck in your classes and continual work with OAMI, and enjoy the last days of summer!

Best,
    Jenny

Hi Mattie,
    Thanks for sharing about the internship experience this summer! I want to acknowledge that with this post you’ve met the six blog requirement for the scholarship. I hope that you’ll have a chance to stop by the Hub this fall. We can chat about how you represent your experience on your resume, LinkedIn, or even in future interviews! Please let us know how we can be of help.

Best of luck in your return to campus,
    Beth