Allison Taylor – Blog 6 – London

As my internship comes to a close, I look back on my time spent overseas. Not only did my experience provide the opportunity to work in the administration of two different music industry companies, but it also gave me the chance to see how the industry compares in London versus the U.S. Working at both a for-profit organization and a non-profit allowed me to see the true, every day differences between the two kinds of companies. Working at a management company and an orchestra allowed me to see how gigs were booked, how the company to artist relationships differed, and what a “day in the life” looked like for different departments and positions within those companies. I learned what I like and — arguably more importantly —what I don’t like in a work environment. I feel these internships over the summer will have a pivotal impact in what I choose to pursue post graduation; without a doubt, I will use what I learned in both of these companies for the rest of my professional life. The time I spent in London at Askonas Holt Ltd. and the Philharmonia Orchestra of London was an education in itself — the kind you simply cannot get through sitting in a classroom. I have had very few experiences in my life, if any, that compare to this one, in terms of its transformative nature. I look forward to implementing everything I learned over this summer into my professional and daily life from here on out.

I am extremely grateful to the LSA Opportunity Hub for their generosity — it made this summer possible.