NYU Internship #6

I write my last post in reflection of the 10 weeks I spent in New York, of what I learned and the experiences I gained. I’ve solved several of the mysteries and obscurities that come along with applying to graduate school. I’ve learned how to write a clear and helpful literature review (as well as how not to). I experiences New York pizza and bagels (they really are in a league of their own). But my experiences cannot be diminished to merely skills gained or meetings had. The amalgamation of my time spent in New York was inexplicably perfect: it demonstrated to me what I had to look forward to. I now know I want to end up in New York, to live and to work there. I know more precisely what I want to study. Although I’d like to avoid the cliche internship response of “I learned so much and I now I know for sure that I do/do not want to do ______”, I cannot. This internship was a learning experience in a myriad of ways, which would be impossible to numerate. I am incredibly grateful for the opportunities afforded to me because of the University of Michigan, and by the LSA Internship Scholarship, without which I would never have been able to pull this off.

One thought on “NYU Internship #6

• September 4, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Hi Megan. Thank you so much for sharing throughout the summer. I am so glad to learn that the internship met your expectations and helped to reinforce your interest in living and working in New York post education. It was wonderful to follow your journey and the challenges you faced along the way. Specifically, your reflection on balancing new responsibilities such as making own work schedule and still meeting goals was very thoughtful. In addition, it was refreshing to read that despite the new challenges of a flexible schedule you were still able to maintain your comfort zone through routine and a ritual; but also provided flexibility.

Thank you for also sharing the challenges you are facing regarding best practices for acceptance into graduate school. I believe our team at the Opportunity Hub can help address some of your questions. Please do not hesitate to drop-in to see one our coaches this fall. Great work this summer and I hope that you have an amazing school year. Best – Jake