Settling In | #2

After the first week of my internship, I’m really enjoying it so far. There are a lot of interns here, and each of us are working on different projects. I think the one standout from my first week that surprised me was how much independence I have at my job. I’m a little nervous about this, because I definitely have a lot of questions, and am nervous about not doing enough or doing what they expect me to, but at the same time, I know that this is my own project that I came up with and that there is no set calendar for anything. I think that having the independence is ultimately a good thing because it will help teach me how to hold myself accountable and keep myself on task, which are definitely valuable skills.

Aside from doing the research for my own project, all of the interns are expected to help out with the Corner in general – mostly just day to day operation things. Something that we do a lot is take patients down to the Corner store, which is where we keep donations. Every time that patients come in for an appointment, they get a certain number of points. They then get to spend those points at the Corner store, which has everything from food to clothes and toys. Every appointment they also get to take a bag of groceries, and a lot of the food and necessary items (pads, razors, soap, deodorant) are free. I really love the concept of the store, as both an accessible way for people to get necessities, and also an incentive for people to take care of themselves by going to their appointments.