The Beginning of the End | #6

I don’t see a point in moving on and engaging the future without properly looking back and learning from the past, so it’s only fitting that I take a moment to look back and reflect as my fellowship draws to a close.

It’s been a wild ride, to say the least. If you had told me what I did this summer before this summer started, I wouldn’t have believed you. Things changed so quickly and so haphazardly, and I just went with it. It was exhilarating and scary to just go with the flow and work lean instead of thinking everything out to a T, but it was worth it in the end. I guess this is one thing I wish I knew at the beginning of my experience, that it’s okay to not have everything planned out and that thinking lean and acting quickly is often just as acceptable, and more rewarding at times.

I learned so much this summer and have been influenced to my very core by the individuals I interacted with and the work I got done. The energy sector is a sector that is poised for immense change and growth over the next decade, and it’s more important than ever to work towards creating a sector that is more robust and efficient for the future. It was so rewarding to work in this field and engage with professionals in the field for the summer, and it inspires me to see all their hard work for the future and how I can contribute to their cause. It may be an uphill struggle at times, and there will be conflicting viewpoints and priorities. But it is worth it in the end when you create a meaningful impact.

That being said, here are my top three takeaways from the summer:

1. Always place yourself in someone else’s shoes before acting on a task that may impact them. I find it useful to ask the following to get yourself in their mindset:
    1. “What could they be feeling that made them say these things, act the way they are, or desire the things they want?”
  2. Planning is always fun, but sometimes you don’t have the luxury for excessive planning. Make sure to plan lean and act fast when you need to and realize the importance of having hard deliverables done at the end of the day.
  3. Don’t just drink the koolaid and blindly follow something. Make sure you realize biases and faults.