India Initiative Internship – Follow Up for After My Internship

Note:  This blog was supposed to be posted after my internship in India

So I’m back in the states again and SUDDENLY I’M AT AN ORIENTATION FOR A RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP.

Yup.  Immediately after my internship, I’m at a research fellowship (the Women and Gender Summer Fellowship Program, to be more specific).  I don’t really have much else to say on my internship in India (besides the fact that it was way too short and had my fellowship not been immediately after it, I’d stay for a few weeks longer), but I can talk a little bit about how I think going on this internship changed me in some ways.

Being on my own in a new city with people who speak a dialect that I don’t really follow was super intimidating.  But I slowly got used to the culture that was there and found ways to ask for help and support that I needed.  Whether it was asking someone at the hospital to call an OLA for me or talking to Padmini about the good and bad things that I experienced or even asking Naresha’s daughter what restaurants and movies were good and around the area, I found a way to survive.  And before that, I really didn’t think I’d be able to make it here without breaking down completely (either from stress or from not know what to do at all).  But with the generosity and mindfulness that exists in places one wouldn’t expect, there’s always a way to move forward with the things you set yourself to do.  And I don’t think I’ll ever really forget that as I move forward with my fellowship, with my senior year, and with my life afterwards.

One thought on “India Initiative Internship – Follow Up for After My Internship

• September 14, 2018 at 9:17 am

Hi Ruchica,

Congratulations on thriving in your internship! It is so amazing to see your resourcefulness in living in a new city in getting around, connecting to people, and learning from the internship itself.

Best,
    Jenny