Pre-Departure Blog Entry!

I was really nervous the few days before this trip that I wasn’t going to be able to go due to a horrible persisting illness and fever, and truthfully I was a click away from sending an email to Michael saying that I wasn’t going to be able to make it, but here I am, feeling much better and as amped up as ever for this opportunity.

Regarding goals and expectations, I’d say I am keeping an open mind, and not setting any EXPECTATIONS out of what will come out: perhaps I’ll realize that this is the field in which I would like to work the rest of my life, or I could come out of it realizing that it might not suit me and my majors. However, I have set a few GOALS for myself in order to make the most out of it:

First of all, I want to be able to connect with the people around me, not just alumni and leaders, and also my peers. I feel like getting to know my peers and their aspirations will tell me more about myself and how I can operate within the field. With regards to alumni, I want to get to know them as much as possible for the sake of learning! I don’t necessarily want to hear things that I already believe or understand. Instead, I’d love to hear ideas and concepts that change my mind about the field. Admittedly, I understand hospitality in a very primary and elementary way, and I am hoping that I will understand the intricacies of it through conversation.

One last thing that I’m extremely interested in is how I would be able to use my statistics major within the field. I’m not sure I will receive a direct answer on this, but I plan on asking as many questions to form my own personal understanding of how it will impact my opportunities in this field.

So excited to get started!

One thought on “Pre-Departure Blog Entry!

• October 13, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Hao,

Thanks for replying with honesty. I’m really happy to hear that your physical condition has improved to where you are still able to make it! There’s so much to be gained through this experience, and I am glad you will be able to learn and explore. I believe that learning from and interacting with your peers is going to be a major part of the experience. I would challenge you to consider how your expectations align with the feasibility of learning. If your expectations are sky-high for what you want to gain from your peers, how likely is it those expectations will be met? You may want to ensure your expectations are reasonable for that part of the experience.

Mike