Flash Internship Reflection

During my final fall break as a student at the University of Michigan, I had the opportunity to meet the successful individuals from Levy in Chicago. I have gained valuable knowledge and advice as I begin my job search. The first evening was the most rewarding because I was able to have one on one time with each alumni and hear his or her journey and stories of success and loss. It was valuable to mingle with alumni with various backgrounds and jobs and that are from different companies. In particular, I enjoyed hearing Kim’s advice on how to take advantage of the social networking site of LinkedIn as a student. It was beneficial to learn how to make myself stand out as a potential candidate by taking the extra steps of direct messaging and sending emails to employers and individuals who work in the same department that I desire to be a part of. Unfortunately, it was difficult to find a connection with my fellow students. I also found it difficult to navigate unprofessional words as well as behavior that was projected by a couple of students. As an individual, it is necessary that I learn how to maintain positivity and not allow negativity to consume me and stand up for myself as well as speak my mind. I was given this opportunity to flourish but instead I was my worst enemy. I hope students in the future take on an opportunity similar to this with a positive and open mind. This opportunity has helped me understand myself more on a personal level as well as professional.